Learn how to use the X-FDBK plugin in order to tune your monitors and PA speakers before soundcheck and prevent mic feedback during a live performance.
X-FDBK is usually inserted on the L/R Master output if used at FOH, and on AUX outputs if used for monitors.
- Set up the basic gain structure: Establish the proper relationship between microphone gain, aux send, channel fader, master out, aux out, and amplifiers.
- Set the microphone as loud as you can before the system begins to feed back.
- Activate SETUP on the X-FDBK plugin. This activates the detection engine.
- Boost X-FDBK’s GAIN OUT. Do it slowly. As you boost the volume, feedback will begin to occur at certain frequencies.
- X-FDBK will start cutting the ringing frequencies by engaging filters.
- Add 4-6 filters. Stop the detection engine and restore the GAIN OUT to its default position. Your gain before feedback or headroom will most likely increase by 3 to 5 dB.
- Listen to your microphone chain and test it. From there, adjust to your liking.
You can add more filters by running SETUP again, or by clicking and holding the ADD button to activate the detection engine. This adds a single filter to the existing curve. You can manually adjust a filter’s parameters – Cut, Frequency and Q – using the +/- controls. You can also turn a filter On/Off or delete it altogether.
Have a great show!